Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Faith in science


Gillette wrote:
... I don't have FAITH that the room light will go on when I flick the switch, or that the elevator will go up and not crash when I press the button. I KNOW it will form past experience
I have lots of prior empirical evidence and evidence form others in my culture that a light will turn on when pressed.
No "faith" required.
Faith is belief in the absence of evidence. We have plenty of evidence for science and for daily mechanical phenomena.
Let's sharpen our pencils so as to make finer distinctions. As David Hume argued, one cannot prove that the future will be like the present. Past experience just tells us about regularities. It does not guarantee that the light will come on with the flick of the switch.
What kind of faith must I have about light switches, elevators, and rockets?
It is obviously not blind faith, for I have some strong indicators about what will most likely happen that are based on my experience and my understanding of science. Despite all my experience, however, I have no guarantee. So, strictly speaking, this is akin to faith.
Indeed, the faith that the future will be be described by the same natural regularities as the present is the faith (or founding assumption) upon which all science is based. It is not blind faith, but is is still faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment